Monday, 19 April 2010

Target Audience Research For CD Cover

Questionnaire Evaluation


I carried out a Questionnaire to a sample of 50 people at my school. They were either staff or students of different ages. Although, as I feel that the music industry targets heavily on the youth, then I would proportion my sample to reflect this ratio. The age range with the largest number of participants was the group 15-18 – mainly because this group was the easiest to get hold of and secondly because I intend the music to target them especially. I asked the question “how often do you buy music” because those who would buy music often will have a relatively good idea of what contemporary CD covers look like – and therefore I could rely on the rest of the information they would give me. Only 4% of the participants did not buy any music so I felt comfortable that the questionnaire would be high in validity. The main purpose of the questionnaire was to see how much attention is paid to the CD cover, and interestingly I found that 54% were not bothered in the slightest what the CD cover looked like. From this information it seems that less emphasis is paid on the CD cover than previous years, perhaps mainly because of downloading the music instead of buying it in the shop and being enticed visually to buy the CD. I think personally that the image/CD cover is only a visual aid to link to the song. Again, a vast majority, 86% expected that there would be certain things on a CD cover – such as “the name of the band”, “a picture of the band” and “the name of the song”. This questionnaire has proved relatively successful, as I can now go and design the CD bearing in mind that there are certain items that need to be included, and that the image of the band on the CD cover is not entirely important to promote the single.



Below is an example questionnaire that has been completed





Below are two graphs which show findings from the questionairre i carried out towards my tarket audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment